CIF Legal Update Issue 8 2017
Every month as a trusted contact I bring you my slant on the latest Legislation, Case Law and Consultations. In this edition, these are:
- UK and EU prepare for Brexit data protection showdown<
- Data Protection Bill gets first reading in House of Lords
- ECJ to rule on legality of the UK’s mass digital surveillance powers
- Monkey selfie copyright dispute – closure at last?
- Annual review of the Privacy Shield agreement underway
Please see my monthly book recommendation – Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work and Think by Viktor Mayer-Schonberger and Kenneth Cukier. This read looks at what this vast data collection and analysis could mean for our society. With our ever-increasing use of technology, and the internet in particular, there is more data stored on our lives than ever before, leading to the phenomenon of “big data”. A solid introduction to how the increasing ‘datafication’ of our lives could play out, and provides some much needed context on why our data is so important.
Julian Heathcote Hobbins General Counsel
Deputy Chairman, CILF